Whenever you use any website, mobile application or other internet service, certain information gets created and logged automatically. The same is true when you use this Site. Here are some of the types of information we collect:
- Log data. When you use this Site, our servers record information (“log data”), including information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website, or that your mobile app automatically sends when you’re using it. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address (IP), the address of and activity on websites you visit, searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used the Site, cookie data and device data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using the Site on, including type of device, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers and crash data that helps us understand when something breaks. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
2. Personal Information We Collect
Personal information is information that personally identifies you or allows us or others to contact you. In connection with your use of the Site, you may be asked to provide your name, email address, username, and password. Personal information may also include information that may not be personally identifiable standing alone, but which may become personally identifiable when combined with personal information. Some pages and features on our Site can be visited and used without providing any personal information. For other pages, functionalities and services, you may need to provide personal information. Personal information is only collected from you when you provide it.
When visitors leave comments on the Site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection. If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time. Website administrators can also see and edit that information. If you have an account on the Site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded data (EXIF data) included.
3. Non-Personal Information We Collect
4. Log Files
Like all other websites, we make use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track users’ movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
In order for the Site to operate securely, the non-personal information we keep in log files is by default shared with our web hosting provider whose server we use.
5. Location Data
We may receive information about your device location when you access the Site. Your location data may be based on your IP address. We use location data in connection with providing the Site and to help improve user experience with the Site.
6. Use of Information
We may freely use non-personal information or aggregate information for any lawful purpose. We also may use any information collected on or through our Site, including your personal information, (“Collected Information”) for various purposes. We and our third-party service providers may use Collected Information to:
- help administer the Site and the servers that provide the Site;
- generate statistical information;
- market, promote or advertise the Site, the Content or our subscription services;
- monitor and analyze Site traffic and usage patterns;
- improve the Site’s content and content delivery, including any online content, materials, and services that we describe or make available on the Site;
- register and administer your membership in our subscription service;
- provide customer service and support;
- verify communications from you, respond to your inquiries and otherwise communicate with you;
- enforce our Terms of Service and contracts with third parties;
- prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities or to otherwise comply with applicable laws and regulations; and
- for any other purpose that is permissible or required under the law, that is disclosed to you at the point of collection of personal information, or for which you provide your prior consent.
We may specifically use IP addresses to provide aggregated data to advertisers about the volume of usage on the Site, to determine your general (but not precise) geographic location, to create and segment audiences and otherwise to target advertising, and to help identify and log potential malicious use of our Site.
7. Disclosure of Your Information
We may freely share and disclose aggregated and other non-personal information (including anonymized information and other non-personal information that is automatically collected as you navigate through and use the Site) without restriction as permitted by law. In particular, we may share Collected Information with certain of our third party service providers (e.g., our web hosting provider whose server logs collect the non-personal information described above) in order to provide the Site to you. We may also share Collected Information with some of our business and marketing partners in furthering our mission as an organization or delivering the content, materials, and services available on or through the Site to you. We and our third party service providers may also produce reports on Site traffic, usage patterns, and similar data generated from non-personal Collected Information, and we may share these reports with our business and marketing partners and others.
We reserve the right to use IP addresses to identify you and we may use and disclose any information about or relating to you, including any personal information about you, to third parties without your consent if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to: (1) comply with a court order, search warrant, subpoena, or other legal process; (2) to comply with legal, regulatory or administrative requirements of any governmental authorities; (3) otherwise fulfill a government or law enforcement request for information; (4) establish, defend or exercise our legal rights; (5) protect or defend the Site, users, or our subsidiaries and affiliates, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, attorneys, agents, contractors, licensors, and partners, in connection with any actual or alleged legal action, claim or dispute; (6) respond to claims that any posting or other content of our Site violates the rights of third parties, including without limitation providing information necessary to satisfy the notice and counter-notice procedures pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act; (7) in an emergency, to protect the health and safety of our Site’s users or the general public; or (8) enforce compliance with our Terms of Service or other contractual obligations.
If all or part of the Site is sold, merged, or otherwise transferred to another entity, we will transfer Collected Information to such entity as part of that transaction.
8. Cookies and Beacons
Cookies help to improve your user experience and allow us to analyze our Site and to analyze and manage our advertising. These Cookies are placed on your computer when your web browser accesses the Site. While some cookies are deleted when you close your browser (session cookies), others remain even after you close your browsing session (persistent cookies).
We also use web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of visitors from one of the Site’s page to another. A web beacon is an object that is embedded in a web page and is invisible to you but allows us to confirm that you have viewed the web page.
We, our service providers and other third parties may analyze the information derived from cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, scripts and other technologies and match or combine that information with data provided by you or collected or received from public and commercial sources. Please note that to the extent that third parties are using pixel tags, cookies, beacons, scripts or other tracking technologies on our Site, we do not control the use of those technologies or the resulting information, the use of which are governed by the privacy policies of those third parties.
9. Online Tracking / “Do Not Track” Signals
10. Our Third-Party Service Providers
Advertising agencies, advertising networks, and other companies may place advertisements on the Site, and may use their own cookies, web beacons, and other technology to collect information about you. We do not control the use of such technology and have no responsibility for the use of such technology to gather information about you. Several of our service providers who utilize cookies and other tracking technologies on our Site enable you to opt-out of their internet-based advertising.
While the companies we work with may change from time to time, below is a list of our current third-party service providers, which we allow to collect and use information about you through our Site:
- We use Amazon to identify and collect anonymous user interests on our Site and to display ads to users on our Site. For information about Amazon and how it collects and processes data, please visit its Privacy Statement. You may opt-out of Amazon’s collection of data via your browser by visiting the Amazon Advertising Preferences Opt-out.
- We use Media.net Advertising Ltd. to identify and collect anonymous user interests on our Site and to display ads to users on our Site. For information about Media.net and how it collects and processes data, please visit its Privacy Statement. You may opt-out of receiving personalized ads from Media.net and other third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or who follow the DAA Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising using their respective opt-out tools. The NAI’s opt-out tool can be found here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ and the DAA’s opt-out tool can be found here: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- We use Google Website Optimizer an A/B testing service provided by Google Inc. that allows us to track and analyze the User response concerning web traffic or behavior regarding changes to the structure, text or any other component of the Site. Google Website Optimizer may use Personal Data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
- We use Google Maps service, a service provided by Google Inc. Further information about handling visitor’s data, can be found in the data protection declaration of Google at https://policies.google.com/privacy.
- We use Mailchimp, as a marketing automation platform and an email marketing service provided by Rocket Science Group. If you sign up for our newsletter, which is administered through Mailchimp, or if you register for our site, we will store some of your information, including your email address, IP address and certain information about the links you click within the emails we send you, on a Mailchimp server. Neither we nor Mailchimp will ever sell your email address or share it with any other party, unless we are legally compelled to do so. If you contact Mailchimp directly regarding your subscription to our newsletter, Mailchimp may contact you directly; otherwise, Mailchimp will never contact you. Only authorized Mailchimp employees have access to our subscriber list. You are always free to unsubscribe from our newsletter, but as long as you are registered with us we may use Mailchimp to send you information about your account. You can find out more about how MailChimp collects and stores your information at https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/.
Some of our digital advertising service providers are members of the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance, each of which offer a single location to opt-out of certain ad targeting from member companies. To learn more about interest-based advertising generally as well as your options for opting out, please visit Network Advertising Initiative or About Ads. In addition, the Federal Trade Commission provides useful information about online privacy on its own website at FTC Privacy Site. Please keep in mind that even if you opt-out of receiving ads tailored to your apparent interests, you will continue to see ads from online advertising networks. However, those networks will not be able to apply any of your apparent ad preferences and the ads that you see therefore may be less relevant to your interests.
11. Third Party Websites
Affiliate Links – Advertising Disclosure
If you purchase a product or service linked from this Site, we may receive an “affiliate commission”. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising” and also in accordance to amazon associates programme operating agreement.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
We are participants in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.
12. Law Enforcement
We may disclose your information to a third party where we believe, in good faith that it is desirable to do so for the purposes of a civil action, criminal investigation, or other legal matter. We may also use and disclose information about you to establish or exercise our legal rights, to assert and defend against legal claims, or if we believe such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding actual or suspected illegal or fraudulent activities or potential threats to the physical safety or well-being of any person.
In the event that we receive a subpoena affecting your privacy, we may elect to notify you to give you an opportunity to file a motion to quash the subpoena, or we may attempt to quash it ourselves, but we are not obligated to do either.
13. Security of Information
15. Communication With Children
We encourage parents and guardians to spend time discussing with minors their online activity, so as to be fully familiar with the websites they visit and the apps they use. Our Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Site. If you are under 13, do not use this Site, register an Account, or provide any information about yourself to us.
It is possible, through fraud or deception, that we may receive personal information from an individual under the age of 13. If we are notified or otherwise become aware of this, we will take reasonable steps to delete that information in accordance with applicable law. If you are the parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 and you believe your child has provided personal information on our Site without your consent that you would like us to delete, please contact us.
16. Hosting of the Site
18. Terms of Service
To review our Terms of Service, click here.
Last updated: May 29, 2020